“Police Scotland continues to work alongside our communities and relevant partners to tackle housebreaking and protect people’s homes and belongings from acquisitive criminals. read more
UNDERGROUND INFRASTRUCTURE PROTECTION
A simple and effective method for preventing and deterring access to the UK’s underground infrastructure.
Designed not only to deter incidents of theft and intrusion, SEAL™ also acts as a physical barrier, blocking access to critical underground networks.
It consists of two key components;
1. An extendable steel brace, which is fitted first to prevent intrusion.
2. A bespoke, mouldable bag which goes on top of the brace, containing our forensically coded SmartGel™
The UK-made bag is customised to fit almost any shape or size of manhole required. Once in place, air is removed from the bag using a hand pump, forming a tight vacuum seal.
In the event of a criminal attack on SEAL, the bag containing our patented SmartGel will rupture, covering tools, clothes and hands in our uniquely-coded forensic gel. Should the offender persist, they will find the unmovable steel brace waiting underneath, preventing any further access.
Any traces of SmartGel will glow brightly under UV light, providing a unique forensic link between the criminal and the crime scene, which can then be used by police to help convict the offender.
*The SEAL brace, however, has limited operating dimensions. Requests that fall outside of these dimensions, may require further development and thus result in an increase lead time and/or price.
- Protects your service delivery; reduces the risk of theft, damage and subsequent repair bills.
- Prevents intrusion and theft; the combination of bag and brace make unauthorised access near impossible.
- Simple installation; entirely above-ground, only requires one person and can be done in under 10 minutes.
- Bespoke flexibility; each SEAL bag is custom made to fit almost any shape or size of manhole.
- Robust traceability; SmartGel is detectable on skin and hair for many weeks and virtually impossible to remove from clothing, footwear and tools.
- Reusable; Easily re-deployed from location to location.
- Complete package; training provided by SmartWater.
“A KEY BENEFIT OF SEAL TO OPENREACH IS THAT WE CAN RAPIDLY DEPLOY IT INTO THE NETWORK AT A MOMENT’S NOTICE. IF WE KNOW THERE’S A POTENTIAL THREAT WE CAN IMMEDIATELY SEAL THAT PART OF THE NETWORK, THEREBY SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCING THE LIKELIHOOD OF A CRIMINAL ATTACK.”
BERNIE AUGUST, GENERAL MANAGER SECURITY SERVICES OPENREACH (A BT GROUP BUSINESS)
- Theft and malicious damage; acts as a barrier between the criminal and valuable below-ground assets.
- Intrusion and trespass; denies unauthorised access to subterranean passageways such as sewers and vents.
- Health and safety; should a manhole cover be removed illegally, SEAL can act as a temporarymeasure to reduce the risk of injury to members of the public whilst a replacement manhole cover is sourced.**
- Counter-terrorism; SEAL can be used to secure locations for high-profile events and gatherings.
**The SEAL brace has been tested to support a maximum load of 50kg on a temporary basis only – when correctly installed under ideal conditions in accordance with the Installation Guidelines. Please note that any chemicals, oil greases, moisture, algae or residue on manhole walls may reduce the ability of the brace to grip the manhole walls. Likewise vibration and friable supporting walls may affect brace location.
Find out more
Click below for a copy of our brochure:
- Superintendent Matt Richards, Police Scotland
“Theft of metal is a serious crime and has had a devastating effect on a large number of our customers since 2007. read moreDavid Bonehill, Claims and Risk Services Director, Ecclesiastical Insurance Group (EIG)
“SmartWater has been central to reducing burglary in the borough of Brent and for building more confidence within our communities. read moreChief Superintendent Matt Gardner, Borough Commander for Brent, Metropolitan Police Service
“The after-sale service that SmartWater continues to provide to Thames Water is truly outstanding. As a Security Specialist I have to react very quickly to changing situations and knowing that I can rely on the support. read moreJon Lorimer, Security Specialist, Thames Water
“Our collaboration with SmartWater has enabled us to identify cable theft risks and to respond quickly to emerging trends in order to implement proactive mitigation plans, particularly through tactical deployments… read moreLiam Sumpter, Area Director, Network Rail